Sometimes getting more super than super isn’t a good thing.
All Star Superman
Why I Saw It: I’ve been a big fan of Superman since I was a kid, and having heard about the premise for this, it sounded like a worth-while watch.
What Was It About? “While saving the crew of the first manned mission to the sun, Superman has his powers increased immeasurably by solar radiation, but it could also spell his demise.“
Rating: 7.3 out of 10
Memorable Performances: There weren’t any.
Potential Nominations for Film Quest ’13:
Favorite Parts: I loved the concept and certain aspects of how they executed on it.
The Regrettable Aspects: The following things:
- anything to do with the Sun-Eater, which was a terrible, terrible concept
- the vocal “talents” of Christina Hendricks and James Denton, who just didn’t bring much life to the characters. Having seen Denton’s work, I’m not sure why anyone thought he’d be a good voice-over actor for Superman / Clark Kent. Hendricks could have been an inspired casting, but her “performance” severely lacked the style which the iconic Lois Lane deserves.
- anything to do with the Parasite character and the ensuing fight/flight in prison
Would I watch it again? Eventually my son will want to watch Superman movies, and while I’ll start with animated films, I’m not sure how soon I’d go to this one, for various reasons. If they ever remake this, it’s possible that I’d avoid this version all together.
To Whom Would I Recommend It? To anyone who liked the graphic novel, enjoys the Superman character, or is familiar with the name Grant Morrison.
– Superman/Batman: Apocalypse – a better animated feature involving the Superman character. Although the premise isn’t as good, the end result is a more enjoyable product
– Justice League: DOOM – although there’s significantly less from Superman than even in the aforementioned Apocalypse, at it’s heart is a premise which rivals All Star Superman in terms of potential. While there are a few scenes which could have been executed better, it’s still a much preferable product to All Star Superman
As always, if you have any recommendations for alternatives to All Star Superman, I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Next up, BERNIE.